As a bonus post for today, I have agreed to advertise submissions for a new vampire anthology for the excellent Ticonderoga Publications.
Dead Red Heart edited by Russell B Farr
We all know about vampires, drinking blood, banished by garlic, killed by sunlight or a stake through the heart.
We all know about Australia, the land down under: sand, beaches and lots of sunlight. That splash of red you see could be a world renowned shiraz, or tomato sauce on a meat pie.
Dead Red Heart will be an anthology of Australian vampire stories, showing vampires in Australian settings. It could be the beach, the outback, suburbs or cities. It could be historical or contemporary.
The editor is looking for stories that capture the essence of vampirism and the essence of Australia.
Any stories involving cultural borrowing from Australian indigenous cultures should be respectful of the beliefs of Australia’s traditional owners.
Send us your best vampire stories. Stories must reflect an Australian theme or setting. International contributors are welcome to submit.
1. Story length 1,000 to 7,500 words. (Longer stories may be accepted, although payment is capped at 7,500).
2. Original stories only: no reprints, multiple, or simultaneous submissions.
3. Stories may be submitted online.
4. Manuscript format: double spaced, large margins, sensible font, Australian English spelling.
5. The editors reserve the right to use their discretion in selecting stories.
6. Deadline: 1st December, 2010.
Reading period: The anthology is open to unsolicited submissions until 1st December, 2010.
Payment: 1 copy of hardcover edition, 1 copy of trade edition and Aus 2 cents/word (GST inc., maximum payment $150) on publication.
Dead Red Heart is scheduled for release in 2011.